My Blog List

Friday, November 27, 2015

Swansea,South Wales - Man 'tried to murder girlfriend' before leaving her unconscious body in Langland

Keith Michael Hughes covered Stacey Gwilym with branches on the Langland Coastal Footpath.
Treboeth man who attacked his girlfriend three times came out of prison—and tried to kill her, a jury heard today.
Keith Michael Hughes strangled Stacey Gwilym on the coastal footpath by Langland golf course and hid her "body" in bushes thinking she was dead.
But she came round to find she had been covered in branches, leaves and ferns.
Hughes, aged 39, of Hollett Road, admits assaulting Miss Gwilym causing grievous bodily harm but denies attempted murder.

RELATED CONTENT

Swansea Bay Tidal Lagoon: leaders urge action from Prime Minister and Chancellor

​Swansea v Swansea: how Black Friday compares in the US and UK

Teacher struck off indefinitely after posing as teen and telling Childline headteacher was abuser

Neath and Llanelli among Welsh towns which could be underwater in 100 years

Hughes told a jury at Swansea crown court how he had been sentenced to three years and nine months in 2013 for three separate assaults on Miss Gwilym and one offence of falsely imprisoning her.
He said while he was in jail Miss Gwilym wrote to him and after his release they resumed their relationship.
In July, 2015, she agreed to marry him and on July 20 they parked her car near Bracelet Bay and walked along the coastal path almost to Caswell. He said that on the way back they began to argue.
"Things became heated. We were both shouting and arguing. I lost my temper. I just wanted her to stop saying things about me," he said.
"We were both saying horrible things to each other. She was hitting me, going mad. I wanted her to calm down."
Hughes said he grabbed hold of her jumper and "my hands moved to her neck."
He said Miss Gwilym lost consciousness and fell to the ground.
"I panicked. I thought 'what have I done? I was not intending to kill her. I must have put her in the bushes and put some branches over her.
"I just felt terrible about what I had done. I thought she was dead. I just left."
Hughes admitted taking the key to her car, her Santander bank card and some of her tablets.
He then walked back into Mumbles and drove her car to his flat, where he must have drunk some vodka, before crashing the car in Clasemont Road.
"I cannot remember drinking but I must have because I was drunk when the police arrested me," he added.
"I wish I could turn the clock back. I regret what I did that day," he added.
Cross examined by Dyfed Thomas, the barrister leading the prosecution, Hughes said he could not remember telling the police that she was dead and that he had buried her, or saying "you will never find her."
Hughes said he had never intended to resume his relationship with Miss Gwilym and had asked her to marry him only "to make her happy."
He said he had not intended to kill Miss Gwilym or to cause her serious harm, only to stop saying horrible things to him.
Killing her, said Mr Thomas, would have had precisely that affect.
The trial continues.


Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-man-tried-murder-girlfriend-leaving/story-28255038-detail/story.html#ixzz3sjtJbX00 
Follow us: @SWEveningPost on Twitter | SWEveningPost on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment