My Blog List

Friday, January 20, 2017

Swansea,South Wales - Attackers put taxi driver in intensive care: Now cabbie branded 'football hooligan' fears losing job

Andrew Tooze was left in intensive care after being beaten by two men.
Andrew Tooze was left in intensive care after being beaten by two men.
 Comments (21)
A TAXI driver left hospitalised after being set upon by two passengers has filed a complaint with the Crown Prosecution Service over his portrayal as 'a self-styled football hooligan' during their trial, which he claims could now cost him his job.
Andrew Tooze was left in intensive care for four days as a result of the attack in Birchgrove, leaving him with concussive head injuries, a partially collapsed lung, three broken ribs, fractures to the cheek and eye socket, and soft tissue damage around the spine.
His attackers were each given two-year suspended jail sentences and ordered to complete 250 hours of unpaid work, after pleading guilty at Swansea Crown Court last week to inflicting grievous bodily harm on the cabbie.
Andrew Tooze shortly after the attack
During the case Dean Pulling, barrister for one of the defendants, said his client had the "misfortune" to get into Mr Tooze's cab. He described Mr Tooze as a "self-styled football hooligan who revels in glorifying his own and other people's violence".
And Judge Paul Thomas said he had read Mr Tooze's book on his days as a football hooligan and went on to describe him as a man who "revels in violence, and his role as a football hooligan".
But Mr Tooze, a father-of-four, said he now feared this would result in him losing his licence to work as a taxi driver when Swansea Council came to review it.
Mr Tooze said: "I wrote that book ten years ago, and it has been the bane of my life. I wish I had never written it now.
"The incidents in it are even older – they took place in the late eighties and early nineties. That was a long time ago, and I am a different man now. I have a family, and I work hard to support us.
"Ninety per cent of the book is other people's stories anyway.
"I was in intensive care for days as a result of this attack. I was made me out to be a big bully and it really wasn't like that.
"I'm worried that my licence to operate as a cabbie will be taken away from me, and I want to keep my job."

Read more at http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/attackers-put-taxi-driver-in-intensive-care-now-cabbie-branded-football-hooligan-fears-losing-job/story-30069065-detail/story.html#HiX3qQAYdqHjEZRZ.99

No comments:

Post a Comment