My Blog List

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Port Talbot,South Wales - Two geese die after suspected dog attack in Port Talbot

 Comments (0)
TWO geese have died following a suspected dog attack in Port Talbot.
An appeal has been issued to the public after the animals were discovered severely injured on Monday on the River Afan. They later died from their injuries.
Swan Rescue South Wales are hoping people will come forward with information.
Volunteer Gary Cockely was passing by the river near Newbridge Road on Monday afternoon when he spotted the two animals in the water.
He waded into the river to rescue them, describing their injuries as "horrifying", and took them straight to a local vet.
But the injuries were so severe that one passed away within a matter of hours, while its' partner died later from suspected shock.
Mr Cockely wants to find any witnesses to the attack, and warn dog owners to be cautious of their pets around other animals.
The injuries sustained by the geese.
"I was walking along the road near the river when I saw two white things in the river. I didn't know what they were so I went to have a closer look, and recognised them as geese," he said.
"I could see they were injured so I waded into the water. Their injuries were horrifying and they were obviously scared as they tried to get away from me when I was trying to help.
"I took them straight to a vet and they were really shocked when they saw the injuries – and they have been doing their job for decades.
"We can tell it was a dog attack – you can see the marks from dog teeth and a person who lived nearby said they saw a dog walker with their pet around ten minutes before I arrived and got the geese from the water.
"Dog attacks on birds have been happening more and more frequently and I just want dog owners to be aware that they can be dangerous to birds and that we need to protect birds where we can.
"Someone must have seen something. We just want to make the dog owner aware of what has happened, and make everyone aware that these things happen quite often.

No comments:

Post a Comment